Friday, December 31, 2010

Happy New Year!

I have spent the better part of the day catching up on blogs and reading every one's end of the year recap and you have all made me feel like a complete waste of oxygen for not posting one. So, here I go, vaguely against my will. Oh, guilt, why do you work so well?

This year has been eventful to say the least. I spent a year in culinary school, with only a few months ahead of me before graduation. This experience has changed who I am. I never thought I could love food more, but each day I find that I can. Each time I taste something I have never tasted. As huge, life changing decisions go, this was a good one. And 2010 was the year that I finally realized this is exactly what I want to be when I grow up. A chef. 

I have met so so so many wonderful people through school, work, and even the Internet. I have discovered that the support from my old friends through this crazy time is more motivation than I ever thought possible. I have found that even when I fall off the face of the planet for a year, the people who love me are still there and giving me pictures of Justin Bieber's crotch for Christmas. True story.

I have fought to hold on to the relationship with the boy through all of my late nights and moodiness and general unpleasantness that is me at all times; to find and us that includes the new me. Just last night I got a text that said he got food to make breakfast in the morning and to wake him up when I got home for a back rub. I melted, right then and there, in the 32 degree walk-in. We are going to be OK.

We brought Neil Catrick Harris into our home, changing the dynamic of our house in a way that has me wondering how we ever lived without that little shit. 

I have cut myself, fallen down the stairs, burned myself, and abused my body in the name of my career more than any other time in my life. And I have never felt better. (Other than the 2nd degree burn on my arm. Oh, bacon grease.)

I have learned to trust my instincts, not to be afraid of spontaneity. Just a few days ago, I walked into a salon I have never been in and told them to cut off my hair. It is the best haircut I have had in 5 years. Over thinking things gets me in trouble.

In 2011, I graduate from culinary school and I turn 30. And I can't fucking wait to see what else the new year brings.

Happy New Year Everyone. Stay Safe. Be Happy. And drink some champagne for me. Or a lot of champagne for me. Yeah, that one. A lot of champagne.

2 comments:

Ann said...

And you still love food after the thousand year old duck egg, which is still gross, by the way. Have a phenomenal evening, my real life friend!

Krackle said...

Happy New Year Erratic. Love you.