Monday, December 6, 2010

Drugs and Alcohol

Am I the only one who is moderately sick of this 30 days of truth thing? Because I am. I feel like I haven't said anything all that real in, well, 30 posts. Which is the opposite of what is supposed to happen, right? On to the next...

I don't really care about drugs and alcohol. I mean, as far as people using either. I don't care. Do it, don't do it. I drink. I have dabbled in drugs in the past, but am pretty much an alcohol only girl these days. I can only handle one vice at a time, people. And I already have alcohol AND butter. I think that anything in excess is dangerous, but I also think that each person is different. There are people who drink every single day and are functioning members of society. I think once you stop functioning you should seek help. Nobody has the right to tell you what you can and can't do. They only have the right to choose to be a part of your life or not. 

Drugs and alcohol aren't bad. People are bad. I understand that addiction is a disease, but each and every person with that disease chose to use for the first time. And they choose to relapse. They are choices. This is kind of a fucked up view, especially since I know people who I truly believe can't help themselves. Life is made up of the choices we make. Things don't just happen to us, we make them happen. Or allow them to continue to happen. Will power sucks. I don't have much of it, admittedly, and I deal with the consequences of it. It is this knowledge, and a lack of desire, that has kept me from ever touching "hard" drugs. 

On the flip side of that, I know people who use cocaine recreationally. Let's be honest, the restaurant industry is fueled on cocaine and caffeine. I will always be the person downing cup after cup of coffee and never be the person doing lines in the bathroom. That's my choice.

I know that it is an apathetic take on drugs and a year ago, I probably would have felt differently. But, the bottom line is that drugs are going to happen and as long as it isn't affecting me or putting me in danger, I could care less what the people around me are doing.

3 comments:

Ann said...

I honestly got bored doing mine too. In the middle. And today, wrote my very last one (which will post Friday) and then I'll be FREEFREEFREEFREE!!! But I like reading yours and learning more about how we're a lot alike.

Jos said...

I agree - totally bored and ready for it to be over. At the same time, I've enjoyed reading you ladies entries and learning more about you both. Hang in there - we're almost done!

Erratic said...

I agree! I love reading everyone else's, I just really, really don't want to write anymore!