Sunday, December 5, 2010

Religion and Politics

These are two fairly safe, unemotional subjects, right? Jeesh.

I admire people who are capable of blind faith. I am not one of them. I am a see it and believe it kind of person. I don't trust easily and I don't believe anything unless I have some facts to back it up. I have no problem with the concept of religion, but I have a very serious problem with the things that are often done in the name of religion. My father belongs to a non-denominational church that performs commitment ceremonies. They are very liberal and I feel very comfortable there. I support their charities and am more than willing to go to church services with him, despite not believing in God. I think that religion can do so much good, that it can bring people together in a way few other things can. I just wish that people wouldn't take it too far. That they would make it an important aspect of their lives instead of an all consuming obsession. I wish that people who had faith could see their God(s) as benevolent and loving, not condemning and hateful.

I think politics are linked to religion in a way that makes me uncomfortable. Separation of church and state has long been forgotten. I enjoy politics and the political process. I think that most of this country is apathetic and unaware of what is going on around them, myself included. I wish this wasn't the case, but it is. I am not going to go into much more detail because this could be the longest post ever.

Vote. Be a part of the process. It is important.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Yeah, we said pretty much the same thing. Cool. Knew I liked you for a reason. :)