Friday, December 3, 2010

A book I read that changed my view on something

Before I talk about the book, I would like to say that I am having a shitty shit day. I slept like crap last night, so I am tired. Then in my kitchen lab, I picked up a screaming hot sauce pan that somebody set down without the courteous towel on handle to indicate it was hot. It ripped all of the skin off my fingers on my right hand. And blistered. All of the blisters popped during my shift at work. It was awesome. THEN I had yet another allergy to yet another chemical at work, and my hands are covered in hives and look like I had hand transplants from the stay puff marshmallow man. I am buying stock in fucking hydro-cortisone and benadryl anti-itch spray. BITTER, PARTY OF ONE.

Anywho...the book. The Unhealthy Truth. I was raised in a fairly healthy household. With a diabetic sister, I still to this day rarely eat a meal that does not contain a starch, protein, and vegetable. I skimp on fruit, admittedly, but usually get that in the form of smoothies at work. I get the food pyramid and I get how to eat a balanced diet. I often choose not to use this knowledge, but I contain the knowledge. Someone recommended this book to me and I read it on a whim. It lead me to Michael Pollan's books and an entirely new view of food.

I am not going to preach to you. I would be extremely frustrated with someone trying to shove this information down my throat too. I will just say one thing - the single most important factor to our own health is the food that we eat, good or bad. Isn't it important to know where this food comes from? I think that it is.

So, check out the book or don't. It is geared more towards mothers, but the information is sound. If you aren't a mom and are still interested, start with Michael Pollan. He has some pretty damn good things to say too.

No comments: