Saturday, March 20, 2010

He totally said it better.

Politics and religion in one week, this feels like a bad plan spiraling out of control. But, I am going to talk about it anyway because, well, I read this and although he says it better than I ever could, I am going to try.

I feel the same way about politics that I do about religion. Everyone is allowed to make their own choice and I will respect that, but stop fucking forcing your choices on people. Stop telling someone that they can't seek asylum in this country because we're "full." Stop telling people that they can't come over the border to make a better life for their family. Help people. Be good to people. Stop being such a bunch of fucking ass holes.

Because, really, that is what this country is becoming. A bunch of spoiled brats who hoard their money so that they can buy another sports car they won't drive. People who walk right by someone in need, who don't stop to help someone change their tire.

I am going to lose my health insurance in a few months and I have no alternative. None. Because of all my back bullshit, I am not eligible for private insurance. I can't get covered under the boy's because his company is considered a small business and therefore not eligible to offer partner benefits. I can't get covered under work because they won't pay for health insurance for their part time employees. I am willing to pay for doctors appointments in full. I am willing to pay for prescriptions. All I want is a piece of paper that says if something horrible happens and I end up in the hospital I am not going to lose everything I own because of medical bills. That's it. Just reassurance. And, yes, I know that there are plans out there that do just that. They will not cover you if you have had inpatient care in the past 2 years.

To me, this isn't right. I work, I am a full time student, I am a homeowner. I am not an illegal immigrant or on welfare or any of the arguments that are being spewed all over Facebook and Twitter. The system is broken. But, you know what, I don't care if we help that illegal immigrant. If he is hurt, he needs medical attention. If he is sick, he should get medication. Bottom line. End of story.

We need to be helping each other, not hurting each other. Giving back more than we are taking.

I am not going to say I am not guilty from time to time. I am. But, I am so sick of politicians and the people who have most of the wealth refusing to use their influence for good. Refusing to help. Flying around the world in their private jets while people are starving to death in our streets.

I know people will never change, but it just makes no sense to me. This whole premise of helping only the people that can afford the help is ludicrous. Yes, I get that we are "coddling" people. Well, you know what, I would rather coddle a few people than watch them get gravely ill because we refuse to help.

1 comment:

Jos said...

Amen. Well said!