Monday, April 20, 2009

Thank You

Tomorrow is my fifth and final day in the hospital. This was a challenging experience for me. It tested my threshold for pain, as well as my ability to let go and just allow myself to be taken care of. I spent 2 days bedridden, unable to move without searing pain. I spent 2 days struggling to walk, while my legs shook under me and all I wanted to do was crumple on the floor and give up. But, I didn't. I took every step. I let people wash me, because I was unable to wash myself. I watched as people around me held cups of water to my mouth so that I could get a drink. I watched everyone I love file in and out of my hospital room, giving me hugs and their best wishes. I listened as my family back home rearranged their lives to be out here and take care of me until I can take care of myself.

I saw my mother and my father talk to each other on the phone, putting everything aside but their love and concern for me.

I watched the good in all the people around me. I watched them struggle with me as I fought to overcome this hurdle. And as the last person left every day, I realized how truly lucky I am to have every single one of them. I thought of every time I got irritated with them, or short with them, or was just plain awful to them. And, yet, here they all stand.

I realize that not everyone has this, that not everyone is surrounded by love the way that I am. I realize that a lot of the people on this floor sat and listened as we all laughed and talked and figured out a way to get me through this. I realize that a lot of these people have no one to go home with. Have no one to come stay with them until they are able to be by themselves.

I would do the same for every single one of them. I may have a lot of regrets in my life. I may have ended some friendships and walked away from people a little too easily. But, the ones that are left, the ones that really matter, are amazing. I don't have to sit and wonder how I am going to get through this because I have every single one of them by my side helping me every step of the way.

I love you all. Thank you for making this difficult time incredibly easy.

No comments: