Saturday, April 11, 2009

Smile

I woke up this morning and read this:


I have been thinking about it all day. I can't stop thinking about it. The bravery it takes to be that honest with yourself, and then to share it with anyone who cares to read it. Many of the things she said hit home. Many of her truths are mine as well. I am not as brave as her. I choose instead to slap a smile on my face and pretend like everything is always OK. That I never hurt, that I never feel all those things she had the courage to write.

I think in some ways, we are all broken by our past. We all have secret pain and insecurities that we hide from the world. It is so much easier to hide, than to be honest and open. It is so much easier to smile than to cry.

That post really touched me. And for the first time in my life, I commented on a blog and it wasn't anonymous. I have read that post 12 times. And each time, it brings tears to my eyes.

I am now going to peel myself off the couch, go get a haircut, and meet my family for dinner. All with a smile on my face. Maybe one day I will get the courage to post my own feelings for the world to read.

No comments: