Friday, April 29, 2011

Weddings

I am trying to put this tactfully without screaming how I really feel. 

I hate weddings. I'm sorry to all of you that love them. I am so happy for the people getting married and starting a new life together. THAT part I like. 

I have never been a bride, so I suppose I don't really have a right to feel exactly the way that I feel. I understand wanting to share your joy with other people. I fully plan on having a graduation party when I am done with my externship. 

Here's the thing though...and here is where I am going to offend some of you and I am really sorry. I am not asking the people coming to my graduation party to spend a ridiculous amount of money on gifts and hotels and parties and showers and dresses. In fact, I am trying to figure out the best way to say "this is not about gifts, so please don't bring one" on the invitation without sounding like an ass hole. 

I don't want to do the electric slide. Or shove cake in each other's faces. I don't want a bridal party because, frankly, who I want to be there and who I am obligated to have there are two very different parties. For that matter, who I want at my wedding and who I am obligated to invite to my wedding are two very different lists.

Maybe this is what I hate so much, the obligation of it all. And I am not a huge fan of tradition. I want to get married, I do. And my wedding has been planned in my head for as long as I can remember. But, there will be no white dress and no tradition and no bridal party and no church. 

The whole point of this, the whole reason I started thinking about weddings and ranting about weddings is that  this stupid royal wedding is going on. And everyone is watching it and oohing and aahing over the dress and the ring and OMG THEY JUST KISSED and I just don't get it. I don't . This is exactly what I hate...this fantasy about being a princess and finding your prince. Except they really are a princess and a prince and the world is acting like somehow their wedding and their life is going to be perfect because, OMG, look at the dress.

Maybe there is an appeal to having one day that is perfect that I just don't get. Maybe my soul really is black. I just know that I hate weddings. Thankfully, they have open bars.

No comments: