Monday, May 9, 2011

A note

The 24 hour vet that we took Kobi to sent a card. I was scared to open it, but it turned out to be the sweetest thing I have ever read. These people have met me once, when the short dog ate one and a half pounds of sugar and had to be kept over night. And that was only the vet. The vet tech had never met me. Both messages were handwritten.

Ms. Erratic,

I'm so sorry for your loss of Kobi. He seemed like such a sweet boy and I know he will be missed. Try to take comfort in the many happy memories you shared. You are in our thoughts during this difficult time.

The Vet

I'm so sorry for your loss. I know Kobi was a big part of your life and he will be greatly missed. Always remember all of the good times and the years you had together. My thoughts are with you during this difficult time.

The Vet Tech

In the card was a packet of seeds...Forget Me Nots. We are going to plant them with the herb garden as soon as it stops raining.

Maybe they write this on every card. Maybe they don't. Both of them were on the verge of tears that night. Both of them were genuinely empathetic. Regardless, it touched me.

Yesterday was the first day I didn't cry. I cried off and on all day today. NCH is on anti-anxiety drugs and Short Dog is just lost. The boy is distracted by work, but still clearly sad. I just want this house to be normal again...I feel like there is a dark cloud hanging over us, cartoon style. 

I just want a cat that isn't stoned, a dog that looks happy, and a boy that smiles. And to not cry. That part too.

No comments: