Saturday, October 16, 2010

Something I love - AKA I already suck at this

Something I love about myself is my passion for food and my love for discovering new food. I know it sounds obvious, seeing as I am in culinary school, but it's really not as common as I thought it would be. I love to try new things. I have eaten more new foods since starting culinary school than I thought I would and will continue to do so. I love that my palate is changing so much and how I can taste the tiniest nuances in seasoning now. I don't really have hobbies. Food is my hobby. And that sounds lame because who wants their hobby to also be their work? This kid does. 

Some of my best memories are of food, a pork chop before seeing Wicked. Chipotle mashed potatoes paired perfectly with beer. Eggs Benedict with amazingly creamy, tangy hollandaise. My first bite of free range, grass-fed bacon. 

I have several people in my life who eat because they have to. They don't love it, or hate it. It is sustenance, it is life. It is not about taste. They make a sandwich for lunch and are satisfied. I put herb aioli on my sandwich. And arugula. I try different kinds of cheese and toy with the idea of smoking my own turkey. I dream about crusty, toasted sourdough bread that is warm enough to just barely melt perfectly aged smoked Gouda over home smoked turkey.

I spend hours staring at cheese and reading magazines on food. I marvel at perfectly plated food and strive to make every plate I make perfect. When I see chicken on sale, I think of the hundreds of ways I can prepare it, plate it, and who I can have over to eat it. 

I love my passion. I love that I love food the way that I do. I thought that being surrounded by food day in and day out would make me lose some of that passion, but the fact that is has only grown makes me know I am exactly where I should be. I love that too.

No comments: