Thursday, May 28, 2009

New Life Goal: Internal Monologue

I was sitting at a stoplight on my way home from work, going over "in my head" what I was going to make for dinner. It was sort of a mental inventory of what was in my fridge/ cupboard. It went something like this:

I have chicken in the fridge I could grill, but it isn't thawed and I hate thawing stuff in the microwave. Plus, it is supposed to rain. Or, I have ground beef, I could make dirty rice and have a salad. That sounds kind of good. I have the stuff for stir fry too. Hm. I am not really hungry, so I guess I could just have like popcorn and string cheese. Oh my God, Erratic, that is insane. Are you listening to yourself? Adult. You are an adult. You cannot have popcorn and string cheese for dinner.

It was about this point that I realized I was saying all of this out loud. I slowly turned my head to the left. It was obvious the person was trying to make it look like they didn't just see that and they most certainly were NOT making eye contact. I look to my right. It is literally a car full of high school teenagers cracking the fuck up. There may have been pointing. I quickly decide, what is the lamest thing I can do, to make this story THAT much better when they tell their friends? I saluted them. And drove off, thinking, man, I have lived alone too long.

No comments: