Sunday, July 5, 2009

The Boys

July 4th is my dog's birthdays. Both of them were adopted and their age was unknown, so I was allowed to choose. Kobi is probably closer to the beginning of September, and Shorty was too old when I got him to really tell.

My dogs chose me. When I got Kobi, I walked into a filthy adoption center and saw this puppy cowering in the back of the cage. The moment I saw him, I knew he was mine. I spent a few days trying to figure out what to name him and with the help of Krackle, came up with Kobi. He was a horrific puppy who destroyed everything in his sight. At one point, I seriously considered getting rid of him because I wasn't sure I could afford any more damage. Luckily, he mellowed and became the best dog any person could hope for.

When I got Kobi, Krackle and I lived together and she had Kaya, and later, Ally. When Krackle moved out, Kobi got lonely. So, I started looking. I found a dog on petfinder that looked exactly like Kobi, so I decided to check it out. I went to the foster home and it was like this dog was made for me. His name at the time was Hawthorne and he was immediately attached to me. The lady who was fostering him handed me a leash and said call me if you don't want him. He has been mine ever since. The day I found out that I had been approved for his adoption, I took one look at him and said; "He is the short dog!" His name has been Shorty ever since.

I watched Marley and Me tonight. I don't know why. I have been avoiding this movie since it was released because I knew how it ended and I knew I would be a mess. But, the boy was at a concert and I was avoiding all responsibility, so I ordered the movie. And I laughed. And I cried. And I cuddled with my dogs and I thought about how they have changed my life. I thought about how each of them represents a time in my life where I needed them. How they found me and
how I needed them more than I ever knew possible.

Happy Birthday, boys. Mommy loves you.

4 comments:

Big Jed said...

Happy Birthday to Kobers and El Diablo!!!

Gypsy said...

What sweet little pups.

Brutalism said...

I always think that animals somehow sense that you have rescued them and are extra loving and grateful for it. Sweeties.

Krackle said...

HAPPY BIRTHDAY BOYS!!!!!!!!!!!

LOVE,
KRACKLE, ALLY, MO, KRACKLE JR,MR.KRACKLE AND KAYA PAPAYA.