Friday, July 20, 2012

Common Sense and Batman

The tragedy that happened in Colorado earlier was just that, a tragedy. A crazy person did a crazy thing. I feel terrible for the victims and their families and I hope that they are able to find peace and health soon.

This post is not about that. I mean, it is. This post is about me being pissed off and ranty. That is now a verb. Deal.

We were all standing out back at work tonight having an impromptu meeting. The subject changed to the shooting and a coworker I will refer to as SoCal (surprisingly not the same person I was talking about in my last post) mentioned that a four month old was among the shooting victims. I instantly said, "What the fuck was a four month old doing at a midnight premiere?"

His response was something along the lines of, you aren't a parent, so you don't understand. 

I get this. I really do. I am not a parent. I don't understand what sacrifices parents make. 

Is there ever a situation where I can't wait until the next day to see a movie over dragging my four month old son to a midnight showing? I consider myself on a scale of 1 to wearing a Hogwarts robe, about an 8. I get fandom. I truly get it. But, my 4 month old son would come first.

I do not have kids. I have no idea what kind of parent I will be, if and when I become a parent. Maybe I am judging someone when I will turn around and do the same fucking thing. And could there be anything more annoying than a childless person judging your parenting abilities? I doubt it.

But it is equally annoying to have someone tell you that you don't understand because you don't have kids. I still have common sense. And common sense tells me that a midnight showing of Batman is not really an awesome place for a four month old. 

Maybe I really don't get it. Maybe I am that ass hole commenting on something I know nothing about. And if  I am...well, I guess my bad.

3 comments:

Jos said...

Yeah, as someone with a 7.5 mnth old, I said the same damn thing. Ridiculous.

Rachael said...

I took both of my babies to movies when they were infants, because they just eat/sleep the whole time and don't make noise or anything. That being said, I would NOT have taken them to a midnight movie. I went usually to matinees of movies that had been out for a week or two.

Jos said...

Totally, it is probably the easiest time of a baby's life to take them, but just not a midnight showing!