Sunday, July 15, 2012

New Friends

I want to preface this entire post with a disclaimer that I have a tendency to make friends everywhere. Sometimes this is a good thing, sometimes it is a terrible thing. I have been known to hook up total strangers in a bar. Or to go to a random persons house (never alone!) for after hours drinking. I do weird shit. I have good instincts about people and those instincts have never lead me astray. 

Somehow this all happens despite the unusual level of awkward I bring to every situation. Normally all of the random friendships happen while drinking. Today. Not so much.

I went to a historic home tour today with a friend. I got the tickets free because work was sponsoring the event. The instructions were vague. So, we were wandering around trying to find the place to get the map so we actually knew where the fuck we were going...and this woman walked up to us equally lost. We managed to find the place together and decided to tour all 12 homes together. 

And she was awesome. We cracked each other up all afternoon. I decided to invite her to dinner with us, where we found 1000 things we had in common. 

It is so weird to make a friend at 30 years old this way, but I just did. We exchanged numbers, friended each other on Facebook, the whole thing. 

Both sides of my family are this way...just open to talking to anyone. Friendly with everyone. And I absolutely love this about myself. Yes, I sometimes find myself dealing with someone I can't stand that I randomly friended. It definitely happens. But, most of the time...I just find really cool people in really random ways. 

I work with a guy who, quite literally, has no friends. They always joke that I always have plans, I always have things going on, and that it is weird. I don't find it weird. I find comfort in surrounding myself with people I love. I don't care if I have 100 different groups of friends. I don't particularly care if they all know each other. There was a time in my life where I was so lonely it hurt. It physically hurt. It was my fault, I chose to seclude myself. Maybe I am making up for that. I don't know. But everyone in my life just makes me so happy. All of you make me so happy. 

There is nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with people who make you laugh. And I just happened to find someone new who makes me laugh. 

Nobody can ever find too much love, can have too many friends, can have too much fun, right? So, yes, I picked this woman up on the side of the street and spent an entire day with her. Commence hooker jokes. 

But, she made my day better. And that is all that really matters.

3 comments:

Jos said...

I'm the same way. :) I can't wait to meet you IRL and sit around drinking while making hooker jokes!

Jos said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Rachael said...

I seriously think this is awesome. I met a couple of women at an event in February and just really liked them... later I sent them a message on FB that basically said "At the risk of sounding like a total weirdo, I really liked you guys, do you want to hang out sometime." They were both super nice about it. I decided I need to just say those things because how the hell else am I supposed to make friends?? The worst that will happen is they'll think I'm a weirdo and not talk to me again, which is really a non-problem.