Tuesday, July 5, 2011

Just shut up and watch the damn movie

Have any of you been to www.moviemistakes.com? It is a website that lists every mistake in every movie and television show ever. That may be an exaggeration, but not much of one. I don't even remember what I was reading that made me click on it, but I got lost on the website for a good half hour; looking at pictures of the mistakes and reading lists of the movies and television shows with the most mistakes.

Then it dawned on me. I DON'T GIVE A FUCK. Nor do I really have a whole lot of respect for people who spend their time finding these mistakes and then submitting them to this website. Nor do I care if my favorite movie in the whole world has some crew member's elbow in a rear-view mirror. Seriously. That was a thing.

I just...why? I get that we are somehow programmed to pick everything apart, to criticize everything, to expect perfection. But, remember old movies? Audrey Hepburn movies happen to be my favorite. They weren't perfect and they were amazing in their simplicity. When I watch a movie, any movie, I am not looking for flaws, I am enjoying a story, watching it unfold, and recognizing it for what it is...entertainment. It is not supposed to be about perfection.

The entries I read most (brace yourselves, this will shock you) were the Harry Potter ones. The mistakes were things like, a mic battery pack was visible. Or the set changed. Or a character was wearing a different shirt when the scene changed. 

It wasn't like there was a major hole in the story line or a character switched actors halfway through. 

I guess what I am saying is why can't we just appreciate things for what they are instead of picking them apart piece by piece until they are nothing but a series of bad things strewn together.

Just enjoy it. And if you can't...well, I feel sorry for you.

Also I have one really sunburned arm and one completely un-sunburned arm. That is unrelated, but quite hilarious. I will be mocked tomorrow.

1 comment:

Ann said...

I clicked on this link and think that I am going to regret it. I am blaming you for that. :)

Unrelatedly, my captcha is supper. And now I am hungry.