Thursday, July 29, 2010

Tired. Happy. Tired.

The new restaurant opened on Tuesday. It is Thursday. I realize all of you know this, but I am trying to figure out how it has only been three days. It seems like a month.

I closed Tuesday night and didn't get home until 1 2:45 pm. I leave for school at 9:00 am, to give you some perspective. I get out of school at 3:30 pm. My shift starts at 4:00 pm. I will give you a moment to contemplate that.

This isn't going to be easy. Tonight I did not close and got home about 11:15 pm. Here's the thing. I found home. I mean, not necessarily this restaurant. Just, this world. This industry. This life. My last job, I came home in tears. This job? I walk in the door with a smile on my face and a shit ton of energy. I'm happy. I'm tired. I am finding myself short with people, especially at school. But, I'm happy.

I never thought I would find this. I felt a little bit of it when I started culinary school, being surrounded by people with similar goals. I feel it every time I get to sit and talk to a chef, any chef. I really feel it now. Does this happen to other people? Do they just wake up one day and realize they fit in? That they are where they belong?

Because that is exactly how I feel. And it feels pretty damn good.

1 comment:

Ann said...

Every time I make a SUPER NERDY science joke and my coworkers laugh instead of look at me funny, I know.

I'm happy you fit in!