Sunday, September 27, 2009

Cabin Trip

This weekend was the rescheduled cabin trip. The original date we were supposed to go was 4/17 - the day I ended up in the hospital for 5 days. Friday was my last day of spinal rehab and it sort of felt like we had come full circle. The woman credited our cancellation fee for this trip and has been nothing but gracious, even asking how I was when the boy checked in. I was hopeful that this was a good sign of a wonderful weekend. And it was a wonderful weekend. With a few small exceptions.

First of all, the cabin was in her back yard. There is nothing better than a quiet romantic getaway IN SOME ONE'S BACK YARD. It bothered us less than I thought it would, but it was still very odd. This also caused a problem with the dogs, because she had pens of beagles and shit-zu's (I assumed she breeds them) and chickens. We couldn't really trust the dogs to run around and explore because I was afraid they would get into trouble, so we had to keep them on leashes the whole time. Again, it wasn't as big of a deal as I thought it would be, but was still a minor annoyance.

However, there are two things that mean I will never go back. We will start with the water. It smelled like sulfur. We actually had to use bottled water in the dogs bowl because it was making them sick. And the shower? Neither one of us felt like we ever got clean and the water pressure was so crappy that my hair may never be the same. I am not a picky guest...I really am not. But, unless you were born without a sense of smell, I am thinking you should put some kind of filter on the water that is being used by guests who are not used to the water in the region. It was foul. Even washing veggies in it for meals made me nervous.

The worst, though? The bed. Neither one of us slept the entire weekend because if you even looked at the bed, it started creaking so loud the entire world could hear it. It was the most ridiculous thing that has ever happened. Nobody and I mean NOBODY could have slept on this bed. We ended up opening up the futon at about 2 am Sunday morning, and with the bar digging into my back, it was heaven compared to this bed. That bed should be burned, reconstructed from it's own ashes, then burned again.

We had a good time, though. We got to relax and just spend time together. And the boys had a blast smelling all there was to be smelled and peeing on every tree in the forest. The woman fed deer on her property, so there were plenty of deer for them to look at as well. Shorty even developed a little ploy where he would call our attention to dear in the yard, then go eat all the food off of our plates. We fell for it twice before we figured out what he was up to. That dog is a lot of things, mostly evil things, but stupid is not one of them.

Saturday was also my birthday, which we celebrated by drinking champagne in the hot tub and watching some college football. It was perfect and relaxing and despite not sleeping, I feel totally renewed. Although I can still smell that nasty water on my skin, even though I scrubbed myself raw in the shower when I got home.

My camera was possessed by some sort of camera ghost (probably me doing something stupid while I was drunk) so I lost a lot of the pictures, but here are a few that came out well.

This picture is fairly out of focus because I was way zoomed in and did not have a tripod or anything to keep my hand steady, but this was about half the deer that showed up to eat.

This is how close they were - literally, my camera was barely even zoomed in, they were probably about 100 feet away.

The boys stalking the deer, after we figured out the short dog's little ploy. Don't they look weird with collars? I hate the noise, so I never put their collars on, but I figured so far from home, it was stupid not to make them wear them.

All the trees behind our cabin were like this - I assume either from last falls wind storms or just to keep the branches away from the cabin. I was obsessed and took about 100 pictures of them...but camera ghost (again, drunk me) deleted them. I literally only had 30 pictures when I got home. So mad!!


Big Jed said...

I'm so glad you guys had a good time! However, I CAN relate to the smelly water. That's what our water smelled like until we got the softener. Sometimes I still have a hard time brushing my teeth without gagging. BOO :)

krackle said...

Happy Birthday Erratic. I am glad you and the boy had fun :c)