Sunday, January 13, 2013

The Next Chapter

I have some big news. I have been very hush hush about all of this because I honestly don't know who reads this blog anymore. I don't think anyone here reads that would spread the news, but I wanted to be careful. And I wasn't sure how things were going to go...so suffice it to say there are only a handful of people who know what has been going on. This also explains my lack of blogging a little better because all I was thinking about was the job opportunities and I couldn't talk about them here. But NOW I CAN. So, here is the story...

I went into one of my favorite local restaurants for brunch with C and got offered a job. A few days later, I was called by another chef at another local restaurant in the city and offered a job. A few days after that a friend I graduated culinary school with called and offered me a job.

I am going to note here that I applied for nothing. Simply put it out into the universe (and the very small restaurant industry) that I was ready for something new and different.

Job #1: They ended up not being able to offer me enough hours and this was the place I truly wanted to end up at. I think it was the opportunity that would let me grow the most and learn under a well established chef.

Job #2: I turned down because the owners notoriously put all their profits up their nose and I don't want to get involved in all of that. Yes, drugs are super common in this industry. No, I do not want to work for people like that.

Job #3: I accepted today. It is a 45 minute drive from my house. I KNOW. This is utter bullshit. But, there are a lot of positives. The biggest one being the $10,000 a year raise. I will be making adult amounts of money, not college kids living in their parent's basement amounts of money. I am going to be developing a menu for a new restaurant. My official title is sous chef (working with the chef on developing the menu) and my primary responsibility will be recipe testing and development. I will be putting out a feature menu every week (once I learn the ropes of this particular restaurant) and testing the waters of this very small town and trying to figure out a way to have very modern food be appealing to a burger and fries palate. 

They want molecular gastronomy and clean, upscale food. Shit I don't really do. Which is part of the reason that I accepted the job...putting myself out there and out of my comfort zone is important in growing my career and my talent.

I am putting in my two weeks at my current job in the morning. I am sad to leave, I really am. I am going to miss the people I worked with there, but I am going to make a point to stop in and visit. Often. It is important to me to keep those relationships.

But I think that this is a good step for me. It gives me the opportunity to have my name on something up and coming. And it is a good way for me to learn new food and to expand my creativity. 

Also...ADULT MONEY. I just can't even believe that part at all.

I am excited but I have never been so scared in my life. My food is going to make or break a restaurant. My ideas, my menu, my heart and soul. 100%. This makes me want to throw up and rock back and forth in the corner until it all goes away. 

I can do this. I KNOW I can do this. The anticipation is always the worst part.

3 comments:

Juls said...

I always read your blog. :-) Of course you can do this. You can do anything you want. Like my husband Elmo always tells our daughters - You are a powerful woman! I am very excited for you. The extra money will be nice, but that's the least exciting thing about this. Enjoy! Breathe!
xxJuls

monique said...

Yes, you can do this. Believe in you. I do. :)
m~

Jos said...

Um, can I say that I love that my Mom reads your blog still? LOL

At any rate, I am SO excited for you! Way to put yourself out there. And ADULT MONEY. Whohoo!!